Slow Cooker Breakfast Burritos
We love these simple to make slow cooker breakfast burritos when we’re getting ready to run out the door on a busy morning. They’re equally good on a lazy Saturday morning breakfast with other good stuff.
This mixture can also be used in other dishes. Be creative. Have fun. A quick, healthy breakfast doesn’t have to take time or be hard to make. It just takes a little planning and having a plan is half the battle.
Note – you’ll also need large flour tortillas and at least one egg per burrito. Cheese, salsa and anything else you like on your burritos is optional.
Breakfast Burrito Filling
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 10oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 2 cups broth or water
- 3/4 cups frozen corn
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 5 hours. This will be your basic burrito filling minus the eggs. You can start it at night to be ready first thing in the morning. Or cook it whenever you have the time, allow it to cool and refridgerate for up to 5 days.
- When you're ready for your burritos, warm the filling if needed and scramble 1 egg per burrito. Spread some filling and egg on your large flour toritllas, add some shredded cheese and salsa if you like and fold them up.