Slowcooked Black-Eyed Pea & Beef Stew
Susanne’s family used to loath black eyed peas. They’d reluctantly eat a few spoon fulls on New Year’s Day as part of a traditional meal for the 1st of January, but that was about it.
Those were usually canned peas. Then one year Susanne cooked them up from scratch using local dried peas and it has since become one of their favorite side dishes.
This simple slow cooker recipe combines the peas with a more traditional beef stew.
The end result is a delicious and healthy one pot meal that will fill you up.
Beef and Black-Eyed Peas Stew In The Crockpot
- 2 lbs. beef stew meat
- 1 bag (16 oz) dried black-eyed peas
- 1 can (10 oz) beef broth
- 5 carrots, cleaned and diced
- 4 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dredge beef stew meat in flour, salt and pepper, then brown in heavy skillet in oil.
- Meanwhile, rinse and sort the black eyed peas to remove stones, then drain.
- Put the browned beef, peas, broth, carrots, and water in crockpot.
- Cover crockpot and cook on LOW for 9 to 10 hours or until black eyes peas and beef are both tender.